Saturday, November 2, 2013

Halloween

We had a really busy Halloween this year.  I had a week and a half to get everything ready after we got back from Outer Banks.  I was able to get Grayson's costume done in time for him to wear it to music class on Friday.  He sure makes a cute little hobbit.


Over the weekend, we were talking with some friends about Halloween and costume ideas.  We realized that we really wanted to dress up too.  I had written off getting costumes done for us because I didn't think we would have time.  We decided that we would give it our best effort and we would dress up anyway.  So, Monday I headed out first thing and began the search for our costumes.  I hit two Goodwill stores, Walmart and Joann Fabrics and I found some success.  

It was a crazy few days with furious sewing and really late nights, but about two hours before our ward (church congregation) trunk or treat, I was able to finish them.  There were some definite mistakes made (I sewed the arm holes of the dress bodice shut twice...idiot and then I attached the snaps for the dress on the wrong sides), but I got it done!  I had a lot of help from Trevor too, helping me fit the costumes and keeping me functioning with late night Wendy's runs.  

Eowyn, Aragorn (Strider) and a little hobbit from Lord of the Rings.



Hanging out with friends after the trunk or treat.

On Thursday, we made some bat cookies and after Grayson's nap, we headed up to the lawn (the original part of UVA grounds designed by Thomas Jefferson) to go trick or treating.  We took the bus with some friends up to the lawn.

Waiting for the bus in front of the law school.

Hobbits need their breakfast, second breakfast, elevensies, afternoon tea, dinner, supper.....



Trick or treating on the lawn is a big tradition in Charlottesville.  The students and teachers that live in the original apartments first built at UVA hand out candy to all the kids.  It was a lot of fun!
There was quite the crowd!

Enjoying our plunder!

A viking hoard fighting a dinosaur, some of the students got really into their costumes.



Waiting for the bus.


After the lawn, we went home, fed Grayson dinner and headed to our next event.  Our friends do a Halloween party every year and they serve homemade doughnuts and apple cider.  We had a great time visiting with friends and eating some doughnuts.  After the party, some friends came over and we watched a movie.  It was a crazy few days and we were exhausted, but it was a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment